IMPORTANT NOTE: The WDTD web site currently allows for the alias "wdtb.noaa.gov" to access our site. This alias will be going away in the near future. Please use the current "wdtd.noaa.gov" URL to access our site to avoid outages in the future. Thanks!
The Warning Decision Training Division (WDTD) develops and delivers training on the integrated elements of the warning process involving a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)/National Weather Service (NWS) forecast office and its partners. WDTD instructors develop and deliver a variety of in-residence, teletraining, and on-line asynchronous training content to meet this mission. Our primary goal is to increase expertise among NOAA/NWS personnel and their core partners so that they can better serve the public during warning operations.
Warning Decision Training Division
Office of Chief Learning Officer
WDTD Tools and Applications
This page provides easy access to WDTD's tools and applications, plus any associative documentation or training. Click on the appropriate link below
to access the information on the tool of your choice.
- BUFKIT is a forecast profile visualization and analysis tool kit developed
by the staff at the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Buffalo and
the Warning Decision Training Division (WDTD) in Norman, OK.
- The VCPExplorer is a tool to aid in visualizing radar beam paths with
respect to the surrounding terrain and the uncertainties in echo height measurements.
Every WSR-88D and TDWR is available for viewing in the United States and its
- The WES-2 Bridge is the AWIPS-2 version of the Weather Event Simulator. It allows AWIPS-2 to work with archived data sets to conduct case reviews and displaced real-time simulations.
- Hunter/Gatherer is a tool to download and display web cam images. Hunter is a Tcl/TK script that downloads images. Gatherer is a Visual Basic program to efficiently view and loop large quantities of images.
Radar Beam Characteristic Calculator
- Image Gallery is a PHP based web program made to view and loop web cam images. This program is used by the NWS WFOs in Juneau, Fairbanks and Anchorage. Hunter can help download images for the Image Gallery to use.
Boundary Relative Speed Calculator
- The Radar Beam Characteristic Calculator is a web application that uses a beam's elevation angle and a targets distance from the radar to calculate beam traits such as beam height, beamwidth, etc., using the standard radar beam propagation equation.
RPS List Guidance
- The Boundary Relative Speed Calculator is a web application that determines the boundary relatives speed of a storm based on storm and boundary motion speed inputs (based on Wilson and Megenhardt, 1997).
- The RPS List Guidance page provides guidance for setting up VCP-specific and event-specific RPS lists for general situations.