Course: NWS 101 - New Hire Orientation Training
Type of Course: Blended course integrating online course prerequisites and 4.5 days in residence at the NWSTC.
Target Audience: NWS employees of all series and grade levels hired into the agency for the first time.
Eligible Agencies:. NWS-only
Course Description: Certain knowledge, skills, and attitudes (KSAs) are absolutely critical in order to create and maintain a Fully Integrated Field Structure and an IDSS model of deep relationships. Consequently, we are redirecting our energies to ensure these behaviors are adopted early in each new employee's career.
This orientation is designed to lay a foundation of positive attitudes, effective teamwork, every level leadership, powerful communication, and lifelong learning for each new employee as well as for the future of the entire agency. Additionally, this program will also allow new hires to start building a wide-reaching professional network early in their NWS careers.
Course Goals: To improve the culture of the NWS by strengthening new employee (1) knowledge, skills, and attitudes regarding the agency, our customers, and the work environment, (2) tendencies towards teamwork and networking, (3) abilities to communicate, lead, and commit to lifelong learning.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Describe our agency and how their roles impacts our agency.
- Identify how attitudes, awareness, and communication impact or agency.
- Perform multiple self-reflection and self-awareness exercises.
- Use multiple techniques to improve their level of success within the agency.
- Demonstrate several effective communication strategies.
- Use multiple strategies for improving teamwork.
- Demonstrate every-level leadership skills.
- Network with classmates and other NWS employees.
- Identify multiple resources for professional development.
Required Prerequisites: Specific course schedule, requirements and materials will be provided to participants with the selection letter and welcome packet approximately six weeks before the course.
The non-residence segment of this course begins after receiving the welcome letter. Non-residence prerequisite work requires the completion of (time estimate in parenthesis):
- Welcome to NOAA: A Journey of Discovery Course (1 hour)
- Welcome to the National Weather Service Course (1 hour)
- NWS Directives Course (6 minutes)
- NWS Governance Overview (20 minutes)
- SkillSoft Developing Your Career (15 minutes)
Note: A single New Hire Learning Path will be assigned to you on the NWS Learning Center after enrollment, so there is no need to enroll in these courses separately.