Course: MGT07 - Headquarters Operations Management
Type of Course: Blended course integrating reading and online course prerequisites and 3.5 days in residence at Silver Spring.
- Headquarters office personnel leading an office, project, or program team but are NOT supervisors (GS 12-14)
- Bargaining unit employees and non-bargaining unit employees who are not managers or supervisors
- Note: Participants MUST be in the Silver Spring local commuting area
Course Description: This course provides knowledge and skills necessary to lead a team or workgroup and optimize its effectiveness. Emphasis is placed on: team situational leadership, communications, conflict mitigation and management,
and the decision-making process.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Identify the responsibilities of working with office managers and supervisors
- Explain basic leadership concepts
- Apply basic decision-making concepts
- Apply team development, situational skills and associated leadership techniques
- Work effectively within the labor-management agreement
- Lead a diverse work team
- Mitigate conflict within the working environment
- Solve personnel and administrative problems
- Set and maintain high performance standards in the workplace
Required Pre-requisites: Specific course requirements and materials will be provided to participants with the selection letter and welcome packet approximately six weeks before the course. The non-residence segment of this course begins after receiving the welcome letter. Non-residence prerequisite work requires the completion of (time estimates in parenthesis):
- Reading Strengths Based Leadership (two hours)
- Completing the online Strength Finders assessment (20 minutes)
- Completing the online Situational Team Leadership assessment (15 minutes)
Optional, but Recommended Review: None
Eligible Non-NWS Personnel: This course currently accepts only NWS Headquarters Team/Project leads.
Reservation Manager: Jeff Zeltwanger, (email@example.com, 816-994-3017)