Course: MGT06 - Field Operations Management
Type of Course: Blended course integrating reading and online course prerequisites and 4.5 days in residence at the NWSTC.
- Team Leads that are bargaining unit employees including WFO/RFC/National Center or equivalent lead forecasters,
regional team leads, and headquarters program team leads (GS 12-14)
- Non-NWS Attendees: Bargaining unit employees from other NOAA line offices and other federal agencies meeting the criteria
equivalent to the NWS criteria
This course is open to all federal agencies. For
increased diversity of experience, ideas, and methods, there
are typically 6 slots available in each session for non-NWS applicants who meet the
intended audience criteria.
Course Description: This course provides knowledge and skills necessary to lead forecast office, river forecast center, or regional teams
in the absence of a supervisor. Emphasis is placed on: team situational leadership, communications, communicating with the public through the media,
customer relations, personnel and administrative policies, basic labor relations, conflict mitigation and management,
performance, and decision-making process.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Identify the responsibilities of working with office managers and supervisors
- Explain basic leadership concepts
- Apply leadership techniques based on team development stages
- Work effectively within the collective bargaining agreement
- Lead a diverse work team
- Mitigate conflict within the working environment
- Solve personnel and administrative problems
- Identify and use media communications techniques
- Set and maintain high performance standards in the workplace
Required Pre-requisites: Specific course schedule, requirements and materials will be provided to participants with the selection letter and welcome packet approximately six weeks before the course. The non-residence segment of this course begins after receiving the welcome letter. Non-residence prerequisite work requires the completion of (time estimates in parenthesis):
- Reading Strengths Based Leadership (two hours)
- Completing the online Strength Finders assessment (20 minutes)
- Completing the online Situational Team Leadership assessment (15 minutes)
- Completing a one-page team writing assignment
- Completing the 'Media Training for NWS Employees' module on the Commerce Learning Center (60 minutes)
- Completing the following communication modules from the IDSS Professional Development Series - Professional Competency Unit 3 on the Commerce Learning Center (60 minutes)
- Fundamentals of Communication: What is Communication?
- Fundamentals of Communication: Tone of Voice
- Fundamentals of Communication: Body Language
- Fundamentals of Communication: Giving and Receiving Feedback
Optional, but Recommended Review: None
Eligible NON-NWS Personnel: Contact Denise Lewis
(email@example.com 816-994-3006) for course availability.