Course: MGT05 - Management and Supervision
Type of Course: Blended course integrating online course prerequisites and 9.5 days in residence at the NWSTC.
- All new supervisors (rating officials) or, on a space available basis, current members of management team who are not part of the bargaining unit.
- First priority for filling slots is given to new supervisors (rating officials) regardless of regional slot allocations. In the NWS that includes MICs, HICs, ESAs, DAPMs, and others who have signature authority of performance reviews at regions and headquarters.
- Management team members (space available attendees) in the NWS include: WCMs, SCHs, SOOs, DOHs, regional and headquarters program managers/team leads who are not part of the bargaining unit.
- Non-NWS Attendees: Non-bargaining unit employees from other NOAA line offices and other federal agencies meeting the criteria equivalent to the NWS criteria.
This course is open to all NOAA and federal agencies. For diversity of experience, ideas, and methods, there are typically slots available for non-NWS applicants who meet the intended audience criteria.
Course Description: This course fulfills 80 hours of new supervisor training in compliance with NOAA Administrative Order 202-411, the NOAA Leadership Training Program, OPM, and the 5 CFR.
Course Goals: To provide a foundation of knowledge and skills for new supervisors to successfully supervise the people and manage the operations in the federal environment.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Practice personal accountability as a supervisor.
- Distinguish between management, supervision, and leadership.
- Apply EEO, diversity, and inclusion concepts as a supervisor in accordance with policies, procedures, and law.
- Follow basic labor laws and identify supervisor responsibilities in a collective bargaining environment.
- Correctly and efficiently address issues with employees.
- Apply human communication principles as a supervisor.
- Use effective techniques when communicating with employees (meetings, coaching, mentoring, etc.)
- Describe how our personal style impacts communications, performance, and leadership.
- Develop and use effective media communication techniques.
- Apply conflict resolution and mediation concepts.
- Use constructive techniques for motivating and rewarding employees.
Required Prerequisites: Specific course schedule, requirements and materials will be provided to participants with the selection letter and welcome packet approximately six to eight weeks before the course. The non-residence segment of this course begins after receiving the welcome letter. Non-residence prerequisite work requires the completion of (time estimate in parenthesis):
- Reading QBQ: The Question Behind the Question (two hours)
- Completing the online MBTI type indicator assessment (30 minutes)
- Completing the online Situational Leadership II assessment (20 minutes)
- Completing the online Conflict TKI assessment (20 minutes)
- Completing the Media Training course on the NOAA Learn Center (two hours)
- NOAA staff only: Completing the six NOAA Supervisor Series online modules located in the Commerce Learning Center (CLC) (eight hours)
Optional, Recommended: None