Course: DSS01 - IDSS Deployment Boot Camp
Type of Course: Blended course integrating online course prerequisites and 4 days of drills, exercises, and simulations in residence at the NWSTC
NWS personnel who will deploy to an incident or emergency operations center to provide on-site weather support to core partners
Course Description: This course uses exercises and simulations to reinforce skills trainees learned in the IDSS Professional Development Series. Instructors place emphasis on successfully working within the Incident Command System (ICS) and communication of weather and water information to emergency managers and other core partners. Trainees will complete numerous briefings and interviews and receive coaching to help them enhance their IDSS skills.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Deploy onsite and effectively perform position activities in support of core partners and their goals.
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork, and respect during deployment.
- Gather and assess mission-critical weather and/or water information with NOAA and core-partner team members to accomplish objectives and ensure team safety.
- Effectively communicate relevant information with NOAA and core-partner team members in a timely and appropriate manner.
Required Pre-requisites: In order to be eligible to attend this course, employees must complete the following items and be signed off by their supervisor:
- IDSS Professional Development Series Competency Units 1-6
- Note: You do not have to complete ICS-300 within PCU 6 to be eligible
Eligible Non-NWS Personnel: This course currently accepts only NWS employees.