Course: DSS01 - IDSS Deployment Boot Camp
Note: The NWS Learning Office is in the process of rewriting this course. Details will be updated once the course is written.
Type of Course: Blended course integrating online course prerequisites and 3.5 days in residence at the NWSTC
NWS personnel who will be deployed to an incident or emergency operations center to provide on-site weather support
Course Description: This course provides knowledge and skills necessary for NWS personnel to successfully provide on-site support for high impact events. Emphasis is placed on risk communication, interaction with the media, delivering effective and appropriate briefings, and operating successfully within the Incident Command System.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Deploy onsite and effectively perform position activities in support of core partners and their goals.
- Demonstrate leadership, teamwork, and respect during deployment.
- Gather and assess mission-critical weather and/or water information with NOAA and core-partner team members to accomplish objectives and ensure team safety.
- Effectively communicate relevant information with NOAA and core-partner team members in a timely and appropriate manner.
Required Pre-requisites: In order to be eligible to attend this course, employees must complete the following items and be signed off by their supervisor:
- IDSS Professional Development Series Competency Units 1-7
- Deployment-Ready Task Book
Eligible Non-NWS Personnel: This course currently accepts only NWS employees.