Course Number: A2SADEP - AWIPS Systems Administration Deployment Course
Type of Course: residence - 8 working days
Objectives: The AWIPS 2 System Administration Deployment course is intended to provide the
site ESA (or RFC equivalent), ITO and personnel responsible for performing system administration (National Center and Headquarter support personnel)
with a deeper understanding of AWIPS 2 software components and dataflow.
The emphasis will be on AWIPS 2 differences from AWIPS 1 in order to ensure a secure and stable operating environment.
Audience participants are expected to have experience administering AWIPS I.
The material presented will not cover the entire system, only the AWIPS 2 changes to the system.
Many troubleshooting exercises will be included with the following topics:
- NCF Presentation (1.0 hour)
- Roles & Responsibilities (review)
- NWS Security Policy (review)
- System Management (1.5 days)
- System Operation (1.5 days)
- Site Data Configuration (2.0 days)
- Diagnosing System Health (1.5 days)
- Service Backup Concepts (.5 days)
- System Shutdown & Booting (0.5 days)
Note: There will also be time for roundtable discussion between students
to provide an opportunity to share useful AWIPS information derived at
the field sites.
- Completion of the NWSTC on-line course "AWIPS 2 System Administration Overview for ESAs, ITOs"(go to the LMS and search for "AWIPS 2").
- Completion of the NWSTC on-line course "Postgres Overview for ESAs, ITOs, and AWIPS Focal Points"(go to the LMS and search for "postgres").
- At least 6 months of AWIPS ESA experience including software
/hardware installation, user administration, basic system
monitoring (appendix I of the System Managers Manual), and
troubleshooting and problem resolution of software/hardware
/networking problems in conjunction with NCF.
Materials: A copy of the AWIPS System Managers manual will be provided.
(This manual will be referenced throughout the training course.
A student guide and all other materials will also be provided by NWSTC.)