RDA/RPG Build 10.0 Training
The WDTD has prepared training materials to provide operational training support for the RDA/RPG Build 10.0 deployment. This build updates both the RDA and the RPG software and the training focuses on the operational impacts of these changes.
Download document: build10deploy.pdf (6.28 MB PDF file)
RDA/RPG Build 10.0 Prerequisite
ORDA Build 7.0 Training, ORDA/RPG Build 8.0 Training, and RDA/RPG Build 9.0 Training are prerequisites for RDA/RPG Build 10.0 lessons.
Note to NWS Staff:
To receive credit for completing the RDA/RPG Build 10.0 Training, you must take the three training modules, the test, and survey through the NWS Learning Center! The links below are for reference only.
The training presentation was divided into three parts due to the significant operational impacts of Super Resolution. The presentations are in streaming format, so no download is required. Depending on your internet connection, there may be some slight delays with slide transitions. If you have a slower internet connection and regularly experience problems with these streaming presentations, you can also download a copy of the presentation to a machine in your office and play the presentation locally.
Part 1 - The presentation presents the RDA processing of super resolution base data and the new super resolution base products, as well as the Recombination Algorithm at the RPG. This presentation should take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
(5.98 MB ZIP file)
Part 2 - The presentation presents the remaining Build 10.0 RDA/RPG changes, including an improved version of VCP 121. This presentation should take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
(6.14 MB ZIP file)
Part 3 OB8.2 version- The presentation presents the use of super resolution base products in AWIPS OB8.2. This presentation should take approximately 45 minutes to complete on the WES training workstation.
(5.47 MB ZIP file)
Part 3 OB8.3 version - The presentation presents the use of super resolution base products in AWIPS OB8.3. This presentation should take approximately 45 minutes to complete on the WES training workstation.
(5.3 MB ZIP file)
NOTE: The Part 3 presentation was designed to play on a local WES training workstation containing AWIPS. The presentation contains several instances where students are asked to apply concepts using AWIPS. You will take either the OB8.2 or OB8.3 version depending on which version of WES you have (WES 8.2 or WES8.3). You do not need to take both. The DVDs containing the WES case and the training were shipped out to all WES Training Focal Points. The presentations have also been made available for online viewing. If you are viewing the presentations online, the WES interaction may be skipped. However, it is recommended that NWS forecasters take the training using the WES.
Major Training Topics
RDA/RPG Build 10.0 Operational Impacts
- Super Resolution Base Data and Products
- Recombination Algorithm
RDA Build 10.0 Operational Impacts
- Bypass Map Generation Default Values Changed
- Changes to Clutter Censoring Settings
- Maximum Number of Clutter Regions Increased
- RDA HCI Changes
RPG Build 10.0 Operational Impacts
- Numerous RPG HCI Changes
- Enhanced Version of VCP 121
- Bias Value Source Added to PPS Products
- Threshold Number of Gage Radar Pairs URC Editable
WDTD welcomes your feedback on how well this training supported your understanding of the operational impacts of RDA/RPG Build 10.0. Please send us your comments! Thanks!
- “Initial Implementation of Super Resolution Data on the Nexrad Network”; S. Torres and C. Curtis
- “Concept of Operations for the Enhanced VCP 121 to Mitigate Range Aliasing”; D. Zittel
- “Combined WSR-88D Technique to Reduce Range Aliasing Using Phase Coding and Multiple Doppler Scans”; D. Zittel, D. Saxion, R. Rhoton, D. Crauder
- Updated "VCP Comparison Table"
- "Improved Detection of Severe Storms Using Experimental Fine-Resolution WSR-88D Measurements"; R. Brown, B. Flickinger, E. Forren, D. Schultz, D. Sirmans, P. Spencer, V. Wood, and C. Ziegler